Your self-esteem or sense of self-worth is tied directly to how you feel about and care for yourself. We’re talking about every aspect of you – your mind, your body, and your spirit. When you take great care of yourself, you demonstrate that you value your health and wellbeing. You prioritize yourself.
Simple self-care habits can make a tremendous difference in your day-to-day life and experiences. Imagine if you never take care of yourself. You’re going to start feeling overwhelmed, stressed, depressed and maybe even angry. It impacts how you feel about yourself and others.
Conversely, if you do something every day to take care of you, then you face the world each day with a better ability to stay positive, focused, and strong. If you’re presently struggling with your self-esteem, simple self-care steps can help you improve it. Let’s take a look at a few habits you can embrace to take better care of yourself.
1. Feed Your Body – Many people spend their days grabbing the food that they can, when they can. Busy lives mean packaged foods and drive-thru windows. Choose one meal to really feed your body. Give it the healthy nutrients that it needs. You might try a green drink every day for a snack or a smoothie for breakfast.
2. Move Your Body – Start moving your body more. If you’re sedentary, that means walking more. Do something every day that strengthens your body and gets blood flowing to your vital tissues. It impacts your emotions as well as your health.
3. Find Quiet Time – Many people spend their entire days in noisy environments. In the car the radio is on. At work people are talking. At home the television is on. Find at least 20 minutes each day for silence. You can journal, draw, knit, or meditate. It doesn’t matter what you do. You can combine your quiet time with your daily walk if you want. The point is to spend some time with your thoughts and to start listening to your inner voice.
4. Learn Something New – Learning engages you and helps you get passionate and excited about your life. Find something that you’re interested in and curious about. You might want to learn how to dance or how to invest in the stock market. Maybe you want to learn more about Japanese history or how to make jewelry. Start pursuing your passions by learning.
5. Spend Time with Loved Ones – Set the intention to spend quality time with friends and family – people that make you smile and feel great about yourself and your life. If you don’t feel like you have those people, seek them out. Join a group that interests you, volunteer, and get involved.
Taking care of yourself is essential to feeling good about yourself. Find simple things that you can do on a daily basis to improve your self-care. Exercise more, eat more healthily, laugh, and learn.